[Xen-users] CPU Prerequisites for Live Migrations

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Hoot, Joseph" <joe.hoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:38:48 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:40:04 -0700

Hi all,

I'm trying to find documentation to describe what specific CPU flags, models,
families requirements are needed for live migrations to be "supported."  I have
found mailing list archives which tend to say things like "should" work or
"may" work, but nothing that says "is supported." or "is certified."

Basically what I'm wondering is that if I have (2) quad-core cpu's on one
server and (2) quad-core cpu's on another server -- both have the same family
and stepping and exact same flags.  The only difference is that the model is
different.  Is that something that the xen hypervisor typically will support
when it comes to live migration?

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Hoot