[Xen-users] over-allocation of memory

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:00:44 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:02:20 -0700

This is probably a really stupid question, but what happens if you have
more memory allocated to domU's than your physical RAM? Will that cause
dom0 to crash? DomU's to crash? Or just slow performance due to swap use
on dom0?

I ask this because we've got high availability clusters running domU's,
and I want to know how much memory is safe to allocate to domU's given
that a failure of one server could suddenly cause twice as many domU's
to be started on the other server. I'd like to know if I really have to
keep half the RAM reserved for a fairly rare occurrence.

--Greg