RE: [Xen-users] Automatically provisioning IP addresses on a new VM

  • To: "Andrew White" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:50:31 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:25:13 -0800

> I know there are plenty of VPS hosting companies out there who use Xen
who
> provide you with a VPS "available in 5 minutes" - meaning you can SSH
or RDP
> to it in 5 minutes.
>
> Obviously there must be some type of mechanism that allows them to
> automatically assign an IP to a HVM based VM. Some type of mechanism
> automatically provision this in all flavours of Linux they offer,
along with
> Win2k3 and Win2k8.

For Windows I suppose they could use a pre-setup image with the
appropriate ini/xml file.

Or the PV drivers could do it. GPLPV could probably be made to do this
with a bit of userspace (or kernel?) trickery - read the IP settings
from xenstore (the kernel interface is there to do this but not the
userspace tools) and use netsh or some other tool to configure each
adapter. Kernel is probably better as it can happen earlier in the boot
and can't be overridden as easily.

James