RE: [Xen-users] Linux DomU vs Bare Metal performance issues

  • To: Mark Watts <m.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:18:06 -0500
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:19:33 -0800

Understand what you're really testing here is the performance of the
virtual network driver, since Apache does almost no work to serve a
simple static page.  You're exercising the TCP stack and network drivers
more than anything else.

Out of curiosity, can you easily run the same test against dom0?  The
dom0 runs a Xen kernel, on top of the hypervisor, but with a physical
network interface (rather than virtual).

One thing you can try is to pin the dom0 and/or domU to a physical core,
using "xm vcpu-pin".  That gave me better throughput on some of my
tests.

(I have doubts that hyperthreading scales as well as multicore
processors, however I don't have any hyperthreaded systems of my own to
test.)

Jeff