Re: [Xen-users] Linux DomU vs Bare Metal performance issues

On 03/12/2010 22:18, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> [...]

Sure, but iperf shows near-enough line speed in both directions.
Shouldn't this 'prove' the virtual network driver is up to scratch for
this system?

> Out of curiosity, can you easily run the same test against dom0?  The
> dom0 runs a Xen kernel, on top of the hypervisor, but with a physical
> network interface (rather than virtual).

I can, certainly.

> One thing you can try is to pin the dom0 and/or domU to a physical core,
> using "xm vcpu-pin".  That gave me better throughput on some of my
> tests.

Dom-0 is already pinned to one CPU with the Dom-U given the remaining three.

> (I have doubts that hyperthreading scales as well as multicore
> processors, however I don't have any hyperthreaded systems of my own to
> test.)

I can certainly try this again with HT switched off on both boxes,
although that'll have to wait 'till monday.

Mark.

- --
Mark Watts, BSc RHCE
http://www.linux-corner.info/