[Xen-users] Re: How can I re-build domU's Kernel?

Am 20.12.2010 08:11, schrieb êëê:

I have fedora13 as domain0 kernel on xen-3.4.3 or xen-4.0.1.

I installed ubuntu10.04 as guest-os following this :

1) download installer from :

-
http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/vmlinuz
-
http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/initrd.gz

to /boot directory

2) edit xen guest config file

kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz"
ramdisk ="/boot/initrd.gz"
memory = 1024
name ="ubuntu01"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0']
disk = ['phy:vg_f13/ubuntu01,xvda,w']
bootloader ="/usr/bin/pygrub"

3) Install ubuntu10.04 as normal way.

4) after installation finished. reboot gueset-os with config. This ubunt
guest works well.

memory = 1024
name ="ubuntu01"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0']
disk = ['phy:vg_f13/ubuntu01,xvda,w']
bootloader ="/usr/bin/pygrub"

But, I have questions.

1) Is this ubuntu machine works as para-virtualized kernel or HVM?

Looks like a PVM.

2) If this is PV-dom then How can I compile the guest-kernel ?

You can easiely compile many different kernel on linux. I have running a gentoo x86_64 dom0 (2.6.34) and xend (4.0.0). For my domUs (mostly gentoo but also ubuntu and other dists) I am using different kernel.

I compiled them at /usr/src/linux directory with make O=<sub-dir|any-other-dir> menuconfig etc. I never used fedora, but google said u have to install the kernel sources, if u want to compile your own kernel.

(It is not necessary to have domU kernel / ramdisk at boot dir.

My folder hierarchy is:

/vm/<domU-name>/ ...
... kernel
... iso image