Re: [Xen-users] XenServer adding additional CPUs to the control domain?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 02:06:13PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM, David Erickson <halcyon1981@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a large pool and when it syncs up the load on the control
> > domain of my pool is pretty high (I've seen up to 77..), I'd like to
> > add more than 1 cpu to it, is that possible?  I tried the suggestion
> > "echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online" followed by a reboot
> > but this didn't take, upon reboot all the cpus are back off.
>
> On "good" xen+dom0 kernel versions (like the one bundled in RHEL5), a
> simple "xm vcpu-set 0 4" (to assign 4 cpus to dom0) will do the trick
> just fine.
>
> On some "bad" xen+dom0 combinations, you might need to run "echo 1 >
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online" (no reboot needed) in addition to
> xm vcpu-set. On REALLY bad combination, even the above command won't
> work.
>
> So my suggestion is try "xm vcpu-set" route, and if doesn't work, you
> should seriously consider changing xen/dom0 kernel combination.

I think he's using Citrix XenServer, so "xm" tricks won't do it.

I'm not sure if XenServer has switched to multi-vcpu dom0 yet..
maybe in 5.6 FP1 ?

I know in earlier versions there were some bugs if you enabled
>1 vcpus manually..

Anyway, XenServer/XCP is planning to move to multi-vcpu dom0
at some point..

-- Pasi