Re: [Xen-users] How to create an ubuntu 10.04 virtual machine on ubuntu 8.04?

Il 27/01/2011 10:14, Marco Weber ha scritto:
hello,

I'm new to xen. (Before i've used ESX...)
On the ubuntu 8.04 host machine i've always created images with
xen-create-image...
Unfortunately it cannot create lucid (10.04) images...

i've already tried to do it by foot, but the VM didn't startup... :/
vi /etc/xen/newlucid.cfg
dd if=/dev/zero of=disk,img bs=1024k seek=17k count=0
mkfs -t ext3 disk,img
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap.img bs=1024k seek=1024 count=0
mkswap swap.img
mount -o loop UbuntuXen.img /tmp/xenloop
debootstrap lucid /tmp/xenloop
umount /tmp/xenloop

Anyways, how can this be done easily? How do you setup your XEN VMs?
Is there a way to just install it with a iso-image (cdrom) as i would do it
with VMware?

Thanks a lot in advance for any reply...

See you,
            Marco

Hi, I didn't had Ubuntu 8.04 as dom0 but instead I had debian Lenny. To install Ubuntu 10.04 I do the following (note that I have not Full Virtualization):

- In another computer I did an alternate ubuntu installation of 10.04 using virtualbox - Ubunto must be installed in ext3. I don't know if ext4 will work but while in dubt I prefer to use ext3 (so it is also easy to mount 10.04 images in Lenny/Ubuntu8.04) - Once installed you have to remove grub2 and install (and configure) grub-legacy because pygrub in lenny / ubuntu 8.04 doesn't boot grub2 domUs - You have to install the ec2 kernel (sudo apt-get install linux-ec2) which is the only one which is capable to run on xen PVM environment. - I don't remember if kernel is automagically added to /boot/grub/menu.lst. If not do it yourself

Now your image is ready. Shut down virtualbox and convert the virtual disk image into a raw image by using the tool qemu-img (apt-get install qemu-kvm); example

qemu-img convert -O raw yourimage.vdi yuorimage.raw

Now copy the image on the Xen machine and try to boot it with pygrub.

It worked for me.

HTH

Dario