RE: [Xen-users] how to optimize CentOS XEN dom0?

  • To: <rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:57:58 -0500
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 05:59:34 -0800

Really?  244MB memory committed, it looks like, aside from buffer cache.
Do you think that's excessive?  I've commonly heard that 256MB is the
bare minimum to run a CentOS 5.x image.

Nothing has swapped yet, so you should have ample headroom.  If you were
to shrink memory a little more, it would begin to swap seldom-used
pages.

Since you're running Apache, see if you can use the worker MPM.  It
tends to spawn fewer processes (thus eating less RAM) than prefork.  If
you have to stick with prefork, turn down StartServers, MinSpareServers
and MaxSpareServers to the minimum you can comfortably handle.

-Jeff