[Xen-users] RE: GPLPV 0.11.0.238 and Windows 2008 R2 requiring extra reboot

  • To: "AP Xen" <apxeng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:23:52 +1100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 16:26:05 -0800

> > > GPLPV depends on KMDF (Kernel Mode Driver Framework). If there is
no
> > > KMDF currently installed then it is installed along with the
drivers
> > > and
> > > everything will be active on the next boot. If the same or newer
KMDF
> > > is
> > > already installed then the drivers are installed and everything
will
> > be
> > > active on the next boot. If an older version is installed then it
> > will
> > > be upgraded but the drivers won't load until the new KMDF is
loaded.
> > > When the new KMDF is loaded on the next boot, the drivers load but
> > too
> > > late in the boot process so it's only on the next boot that they
can
> > > properly take control.
> >
> > On a fresh install of W2k8 R2 Enterprise, I see that
> > /Windows/System32/drivers/Wdf01000.sys and WdfLdr.sys are present
and
> > the
> > version is 1.9.7600.16385. I am assuming this means that KMDF is
> > installed.
>
> BTW, I ran the WdfVerifier from the DDK and it confirmed that KMDF 1.9
is
> installed on Win2k8 R2 out of the box.

Yes that's right, which is why I said your situation was backwards to
what I expected - normally 7/2008R2 should work without the additional
reboot. If you are getting the qemu devices showing up though then I
suspect you are using a 3.x.x series Xen. Can you confirm what version
you are using?

James