Re: [Xen-users] how many vcpu's can be allocated by Core in a Xen Host ?

  • To: Rogelio Bazan <rogbazan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 10:37:59 -0800
  • Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:41:52 -0800

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Rogelio Bazan <rogbazan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> if my Xen host has 16 cpus (Cores), how many vcpu's can be assigned to my
> xen guests?

As many as you want.  :)  It all depends on the CPU workload of your VMs.

If you have a workload that uses very little CPU, you can create a
couple hundred VMs each with 1 vcpu.

If you have a workload that uses a lot of CPU, you may be limited to
16 VMs each with 1 vcpu.

If you have a workload that's in the middle, then you can create a
bunch of VMs as needed.

Basically, monitor your CPU usage, and keep creating VMs as you have
resources to support them.  :)

For example, we have an older Xen 3.x box with 2 physical CPUs running
4 VMs with a total of 5 vcpus.  And another 2 CPU box wunning 7 VMs
with a total of 8 vcpus.  And we have a couple of KVM boxes with 4
CPUs running 8-10 VMs each with 1 vcpu.

It all depends on your workload.

--
Freddie Cash