Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers suspected to hinder live migration to different CPU type

On Wednesday 30 March 2011 12:40:43 James Harper wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I've noticed that on a Xen cluster with three nodes (two E5620 CPUs

> and

> > one E5140 CPU) live migration works perfectly in between to two E5620

> > nodes, but fails to and from the E5140. The error message is about a

> HVM

> > context not being able to be set.

> > I strongly suspect the use 238 GPPVL drivers, but I cannot uninstall

> > them at this point because someone else needs the server.

> > Could I be right and also, can this be helped? I fiddled with cupid

> > masking so the CPUs looked the same to the hypervisor, but that did

> not

> > help.

> I don't see how GPLPV could impact that, but I can't rule it out. Can

> you create the DomU on the E5140 and then migrate it to the others? That

> might start it with the minimum feature set required (assuming the E5620

> features are a superset of the E5140)

> James

Hi James,

thax for your quick reply!

I actually did that and in xentop you see the memory being built up to the actual value and then the DomU just disappears. If you do it the other way, the machine is migrated, but if you migrate back, the migration seems to take for ever and the original DomU has crashed with a blue screen.

Cheers,

B.