RE: [Xen-users] Starting xend = loss of wireless connection

  • To: "'Fajar A. Nugraha'" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Marc Tousignant" <myrdhn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 12:17:16 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 09:18:51 -0700

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Marc Tousignant <myrdhn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The only change I made to xend-config.sxp was:
>
> (network-script ?network-bridge netdev=eth1?)

How did you come up with that change?

The general rule is don't do random change unless you really now what
you're doing. Usually the best way is to ask whoever suggested that
change. However, xen's network-bridge change has changed several times
so something that works in another version might not work in this
version.

> If I don?t make this change it uses both wired and wireless and creates
> peth0 and peth1, but eth1 still  vanishes.
>
> If I  change it to eht0 it does nothing to the wireless and only creates
the
> peth0 as expected.

Looking inside xen's network-bridge script might tell you more what's
going on, but in this case I'd actually suggest stop using
network-bridge script.

For one, the recommended bridging method now is to create your own
bridges using OS' config files, and not network-bridge script. The
second reason is that when dealing with wireless interface, it's not
enough just creating a bridge, you need to also use ebtables.

> I like xen, I don?t plan to go elsewhere.

The easiest way for you is to create a dummy bridge, then set up NAT
so domU can access outside network (but not the other way around).
Installing libvirt should get you virbr0 which behaves like that,
without having to set up bridging/NAT manually.

--
Fajar

-------------

I came up with that change by reading the config file that installed itself
with xen.

##
# To bridge network traffic, like this:
#
# dom0: ----------------- bridge -> real eth0 -> the network
#                            |
# domU: fake eth0 -> vifN.0 -+
#
# use
#
# (network-script network-bridge)
#
# Your default ethernet device is used as the outgoing interface, by
default.
# To use a different one (e.g. eth1) use
#
# (network-script 'network-bridge netdev=eth1')
#
# The bridge is named eth0, by default (yes, really!)
#

So I uncommented the line because my wireless was eht1.
However directly below that it does say:

# It is normally much better to create the bridge yourself in
# /etc/network/interfaces.  network-bridge start does nothing if you
# already have a bridge, and network-bridge stop does nothing if the
# default bridge name (normally eth0) is not a bridge.  See
# bridge-utils-interfaces(5) for full information on the syntax in
# /etc/network/interfaces, but you probably want something like this:
#    iface xenbr0 inet static
#        address [etc]
#        netmask [etc]
#        [etc]
#        bridge_ports eth0
#

I'll try creating it myself and report back.
Thanks for your reply.

Marc