Re: [Xen-users] Nested Virtualisation question

  • To: Jeroen Groenewegen van der Weyden <groen692@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:29:13 +0000
  • Cc: Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users mailing list <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 14:30:59 -0700

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Jeroen Groenewegen van der Weyden
<groen692@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I now am in the position to start testing your suggestion.
>
> An additional question, is it correct the patches you mention here are part
> of the xen4.2-unstable branch?
> are these patches for vt-x or for svm only? the developer seems to be from
> amd. My machines are running on intel.

The latest patch series is here:
http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/PATCH-00-12-Nested-Virtualization-Overview-td3415672.html

Not sure if it has been accepted yet or not. You can email the
developer and/or devel list for confirmation.

Thanks,
Todd

> mfg,
> Jeroen
>
> Op 15-2-2011 16:21, Todd Deshane schreef:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Jeroen Groenewegen van der Weyden
>> <groen692@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The why is a good question,
>>> We use xen as out main virtualisation platform. But now there are
>>> applications that use virtualisation it self. In my case I have an
>>> application that uses kvm. So to put it on our xen server it needs to be
>>> nested. I guess in the future more of these situation will appear.
>>>
>>> I read somethings about nested virtualisation and I wonder If somebody
>>> has
>>> any experience with it.
>>>
>> To run KVM inside of a guest you need virtualization support within
>> the guest (running nested xen doesn't require the double nested
>> (unless you want to do HVM within the nested of course))
>>
>> Patches can be found here:
>>
>> http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=nested%20vmx#query:nested%20vmx+page:1+mid:z33lihxnbdjghua5+state:results
>>
>> I believe KVM should also have support for nested vmx and nested svm.
>>
>> The use cases are fairly slim, so finding users/testers is often
>> difficult.
>>
>> Please report any bugs you find to the appropriate devel lists and cc
>> the appropriate nested virtualization maintainers .
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Todd

Todd Deshane