Re: [Xen-users] K/Ubuntu 11.04 or DEBIAN based ditro and XEN 4.1 - Possible?

  • To: Joseph Glanville <joseph.glanville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 22:16:46 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dokter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:18:16 -0700

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Joseph Glanville <joseph.glanville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Do you have a reason to move to 2.6.38? What functionality are you seeking?
Debian Squeeze + Xen 4.0.1 + 2.6.32 stock is very stable and fast.

If you can describe what you are trying to achieve I might be able to
assist you in more detail.

simple enough is Debian/Kubuntu, XEN 4.1 and KDE 4.6 on a laptop so i can load guests while on the road
and continue developing, Id like to be on a later kernel, i figure if i can get 2.6.38/39 and a running config
ill not need any upgrades/updates.

Joseph.

On 25 May 2011 05:00, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Okay, well, in response to this attempt... can we say there doesnt appear to
> be
> a debian based desktop distro that will happily run XEN 4.0/4.1 without a
> tremendous
> amount of work. The closest Ive come was using Debian Squeeze, which did
> allow
> the creation of a domU and the creation of virtual image that did run using
> a cli debinstall
> method. However, it seems that moving to kernel 2.6.38 wreaks havoc and
> prevents
> kdm/kde 4.6 from running, however kernel 2.6.39 from debian testing and XEN
> 4.1 did
> actually start and load the kdm / kde desktop to working order, though it
> somehow broke
> xen networking and started tossing networking hotplug issues when trying to
> start a VM.
> As for the call to use KVM.. well we tried that and though it was simple
> enough to get it
> installed and up and running. kvm guests however are rediculously slow to
> the point of
> uselessness, a freebsd 8.2 install as a kvm guest takes upwards of 8 hours
> to do a simple
> buildworld/buildkernel... which is unacceptable. Ive run FreeBSD 8.2 fine on
> XCP in the lab
> and it responds quite normally. So the question is... how does one fix this
> for debian based
> distros ??? Theres has to be someone out there with the "key" or knowledge
> to achieve this.
> So please step forward if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Kind regards,
Joseph.
Founder | Director
Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56