Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2003 server CDROM and XEN

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Joel Witherspoon
<joel.witherspoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was able to successfully install Windows 2003 Server guest on Xen (pretty
> painlessly, I might add) and while the CDROM was working during the
> installation, it now is not. I have logged in an patched Windows
> successfully and all appears to be right except the CDROM. On the physical
> server, the device is actually a DVD ROM but it worked during installation
> so I don't think that was the problem.
>
> In Windows' compmgmt.msc and in the "My Computer" utility, I see a CDROM but
> no media in the CDROM. I have to restart the domU to get the CD ROM to
> detect the CD.
>
> Is there an easier way to have a Windows domU detect the CD in the CDROM?

IIRC it depends on your xen version, and whether or not you have PV
drivers installed. In some cases you need to use qemu monitor (press
ctrl-alt-2 when connected to domU's console using vnc).

Personally I prefer to simply install daemontools
(http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads) or similar and mount the
ISO on domU. It's easier that way.

--
Fajar