[Xen-users] Re: Windows VM extremely slow

On Thursday 02 June 2011 22:51:31 Dennis Schridde wrote:
> I have a Windows VM which behaves extremely slow. In VNC it takes tens of
> seconds for a mouse movement to be reflected by the cursor and a click or
> keypress takes minutes to have an effect. A connection via RDP is not
> possible at all, because it is impossible to connect to the host.
>
> I do not think I have enabled any limitations on cpu consumption for this
> vm, nor do I have another explanation for the slowness. Another vm (also
> hvm) is working normally.
>
> Does anyone have an idea why the machine could be so slow?
>
> xm top displays the machine like this:
>       NAME  STATE   CPU(sec) CPU(%)     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k) MAXMEM(%)
> VCPUS NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) VBDS   VBD_OO   VBD_RD   VBD_WR SSID
>        XXX ------         21    0.3    1056640   11.2    1064960      11.3
> 1    1      677       13    2        0    27908     3096    0
>
> I have the config of this vm attached.
P.S: I forgot a few things:

1) Please CC me, because I am not on the list.
2) The slowness starts when I connect via VNC. Before that the status is "--
b---" instead of "------", and it changes to the latter immediately.
3) The used cpu percentage is at 10-20 percent until I connect via VNC, then
it drops to below 1, i.e. 0.X.
4) VBD_RD is always counting up, right from the very start. There is no
influence of a VNC connection to this parameter.
5) I am using CentOS 5.6 with xen 3.1.2-238.9.1.el5 and kernel
2.6.18-238.9.1.el5xen.

--Dennis