Re: [Xen-users] HVM --> PV, success on 1st time, failed on 2nd time

Hi Pandu,

I'm having a perplexing problem.

I'm currently trying to install Gentoo Linux on XenServer 5.6 fp1.
When I've compiled the kernel, I shutdown, eject CD, activate PV mode,
and turn on.

It worked, except for the fact that I forgot to change the entries in
/etc/fstab to point to /dev/xvd?. So I shutdown, change back to HVM,
and reboot into Gentoo's installation CD. I edited /etc/fstab, then
repeat the above conversion (i.e., shutdown, eject CD, activate PV
mode, turn on).

But this time, pygrub complained that it can't find the kernel! Very
strange, since it managed to find one the last time I boot into PV...

Where could I've gone wrong?

could you check your /boot/grub/device.map and /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg. There are probably references to /dev/sda that should be switched to /dev/xvda. If you have UUID, I'd switch it back to standard /dev/xvdx in the /etc/default/grub file.

Cheers,

Denis

Rgds,

--