[Xen-users] Re: 3.0.0-rc2: Xen: QEMU Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:14:07PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 07:35:32PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I ran into this problem when trying to set up Xen on a root server
> > > with a pre-Orleans Athlon64 (no svm, so no kvm):
> >
> > Uhh, your output says otherwise. What is the serial output your
> > box produced?
>
> Well, the output was from the kvm where I tried to boot xen with the
> same config as on my rootserver, where I don't have access to the
> console output to see why it doesn't boot. :)

I've traced it down to the fact that you disable SMP on your x86_64 build.

CONFIG_BROKEN_ON_SMP=y
# CONFIG_SMP is not set

Is there a particular reason for doing that? Can you try your build
with CONFIG_SMP=y set? Also, don't set CONFIG_MAXSMP (as that one is
right now broken).

> > > So is this supposed to work with APICs?
> >
> > Yes. Well, it actually should just bypass/ignore the APIC calls and
> > the warnings are suppose to be benign.
> >
> > But somehow your environment triggered a weird state. I've to admint
> > I hadn't tried to boot Xen + paravirt Linux under QEMU for some time.
> >
> > Did you try this on real hardware?
>
> Only on my rootserver.  Just tried it again just in case and it
> still doesn't boot if I remove the "noapic acpi=off" options.
> (And it seems to blow up before I get any output over netconsole)
>
> I should try it on my notebook I guess, though that is a Core2 Intel
> with Vanderpool IIRC, so it may behave differently there.

That really should not be neccessary.