Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] XCP network and VLAN by Open vSwitch

  • To: Wei-Chih Chen <wcchen.tw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:28:40 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:30:02 -0700

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Wei-Chih Chen <wcchen.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Citrix provides vSwitch Controller to manage network across hosts.
> However, it seems requiring XenServer Advanced edition, and downloading
> vSwitch Controller requires My Citrix account.
> Is vSwitch Controller essential for XCP to control and use full functions of
> Open vSwitch?

This is a commercial controller from Citrix. Open source controllers
based on NOX (http://noxrepo.org/) could provide similar
functionality.

> The point is that I can not figure out the relationship of
>
> XCP vs XenServer Free/Advanced Edition

Basically XCP is an open source version of XenServer Free, but adding
additional functionality to XCP can and has been done.

> On XCP, original Linux network vs Open vSwitch

I think Open vSwitch is the default now right? There is a command to
switch to it, if not

> For configuring network, XenCenter vs xe commands vs ovs- commands

XenCenter is a front end to xe, xe is a frontend to xapi. using ovs
commands directly is not a good idea if you want to use the frontends
since it would confuse xapi.

> For using Open vSwitch, ovs- commands vs vSwitch Controlle

ovs commands support a baseline of functionality for controlling
things, but if you want something more robust/advancded check out the
status of nox-based open source controllers or consider looking into a
commercial controller.

The Open vSwitch users list is very responsive to questions.

XCP is very much evolving. Start with these:

http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html
and
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2011/06/05/xcp-on-ubuntu/

Hope that helps some.