[Xen-users] Using Xen to virtualize a single desktop

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: mario piccinelli <mario.piccinelli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:56:34 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:01:21 -0700

Hello everybody

I'm approaching Xen for the first time, and I'm looking forward to see if it
can solve a problem I'm working on.. To make it simple, I'm trying to build a
single machine whose user is presented with a graphical Linux installation, but
the user system has in fact to be a virtual machine, with the hypervisor
running on the same hardware.

So I need:
- a Xen hypervisor with a Domain0 text-only (no X running, it must be as
lightweight as possible)..
- a DomainU with a graphical environment, full screen, possibly starting at
boot...

The problem which I couldn't find a solution for in the knowledge base is: can
I use SDL or something to show on the screen the X desktop of domain U, without
using any graphical software on the Domain 0 (which should be text only and
possibly hidden from the user)? Otherwise, I read something about hiding the
graphical device from Domain0 and giving it to DomainU.. but again I couldn't
find any help or howto...

Could someone please give me some help or point me to a place where I could
find anything else?

Thanks everybody in advance!

PicciMario