Re: [Xen-users] Using Xen to virtualize a single desktop

  • To: mario piccinelli <mario.piccinelli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:36:47 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:38:31 -0700

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM, mario piccinelli
<mario.piccinelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm approaching Xen for the first time, and I'm looking forward to see if it
> can solve a problem I'm working on.. To make it simple, I'm trying to build a
> single machine whose user is presented with a graphical Linux installation,
> but the user system has in fact to be a virtual machine, with the hypervisor
> running on the same hardware.
>
> So I need:
> - a Xen hypervisor with a Domain0 text-only (no X running, it must be as
> lightweight as possible)..
> - a DomainU with a graphical environment, full screen, possibly starting at
> boot...
>
> The problem which I couldn't find a solution for in the knowledge base is:
> can I use SDL or something to show on the screen the X desktop of domain U,
> without using any graphical software on the Domain 0 (which should be text
> only and possibly hidden from the user)? Otherwise, I read something about
> hiding the graphical device from Domain0 and giving it to DomainU.. but again
> I couldn't find any help or howto...

If you really can't have any X software running in dom0 at all, you
need to pass the graphics card to a domU at boot.

This is the idea:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough

The VGA passthrough is fairly complicated and not yet for the average
user. Do expect to work through issues and have the right hardware
support. On the other hand, if you are willing to have a minimal X
environment in dom0, then you can (more easily) replace the X session
with any graphical program, such as an SDL view of a Xen guest, for
example.

> Could someone please give me some help or point me to a place where I could
> find anything else?
>
> Thanks everybody in advance!
>
> PicciMario

Todd Deshane