RE: [Xen-users] [XCP] XCP network and VLAN by Open vSwitch

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:23:13 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:24:19 -0700

When somebody says "it would confuse xapi", they mean you should always go through the XAPI when configuring things on XenServer or XCP.  If you try to go around the XAPI (using other tools or by editing configuration files directly), then it is possible to cause a lot of unpredictable problems to occur.  For example, if you configure network outside of the XAPI, you may run into weird problems where the networking may not properly follow a VM when you live migrate a VM from one node to another.  So as a general rule, you really want to be sure to do everything through the XAPI (or use a tool that goes through the XAPI).