Re: [Xen-users] Re: domU configfile: libdir?

  • To: Steve Allison <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:11:30 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:12:48 -0700

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Steve Allison
<xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think what you want is a feature of Xen. Usually when you update the
> dom0 kernel, you need to update the  domU module directories with an
> identical copy. I'd do this by moutning the domU filesystem in the dom0 and
> copying the files over.
>
> Have you tried using pygrub? This gives para-virtualisation a new twist by
> giving the guest control over its own kernel, with no down sides as far as I
> can tell.

Functionality-wise no downsides, but there is a potential security
issue in that if pygrub is exploited, an attacker could run arbitrary
code on dom0. The preferred alternative to pygrub is PV-grub, which is
a small PV domain (a stub domain) that just has grub in it only and
can be used as a secure grub bootloader.

>  It allows the guest to run its own unique kernel (read: doesn't
> need to be the same as dom0) and then each guest can truly act like a
> seperate machine.
>
> On 23/06/2011 14:31, Mike Fröhner wrote:
>>
>> Hey Wiebe,
>>
>> well in configfile of domU u are able to configure a kernel. My configured
>> kernel does have module support (iscsid needs modules) and this kernel is no
>> "inside" the guest, but the modules for the kernel must be "inside" the
>> guest? I just wanna know if there is the possibility to say in guest
>> configfile (like kernel = /path/to/kernel) module = /path/to/kernel/modules.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike
>>
>> Am 23.06.2011 15:23, schrieb Wiebe Huynh:
>>>
>>> Hey Mike,
>>> I'm not sure what you really mean.
>>> But maybe this link will help you out
>>>

>>> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_virtualization/xen_3.0_user_guide/linux_virualization_xen_user_37.html
>>>
>>> I noticed that it is used for xen 3.0 but i'm pretty sure it works on
>>> xen 4.x
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Wiebe
>>>
>>> 2011/6/23 Mike Fröhner <mikefroehner@xxxxxx <mailto:mikefroehner@xxxxxx>>
>>>
>>>    Hello,
>>>
>>>    I just wondered if there is a possibility to configure a lib/module
>>>    directory in the guest configfile like the "kernel =
>>>    [/path/to/kernel]" so that I dont need to copy every time the
>>>    modules for kernel. (I need module support for both dom0 and domU).
>>>

>>>    Regards,
>>>    Mike

> --
> May the ping be with you ..