Re: [Xen-users] Backup domU

Steve Allison wrote:

The backup is also on the same disks as the live system.

I don't know why you make this point, as, at least in this thread, the target of the backup is not mentioned and is trivial to have it point to another system.

I wasn't aware LVM could create a snapshot which puts a complete copy of the volume on another disk. In fact, AUIU, a snapshot doesn't actually copy the whole volume, it creates a COW setup which saves any blocks subsequently written to.

If I'm wrong then I'm happy to be corrected.

A perfect tool for this is backuppc. http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Like I say, there are **many** tools for the job. But thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look at that sometime and see if it's better than what I use now.

--
Simon Hobson