Re: [Xen-users] DVB tuner not working in PV guest

Steve Allison wrote:

I'm using a similar card.

Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)

Simply booting up in Xen on the dom0 rendered the card unable to scan for channels. It would load its drivers, create its block devices and seem to function in all aspects except for tuning, basically rendering it useless.

I had the same idea as you and was trying to get a PV mythtv backend, after it failing in domU, I moved to just trying to get it to work on the dom0 but was suffering the same issues.

I was using the w-scan debian package to scan for channels without needing to install Myth for testing and found that in a standard *-xen kernel it worked fine, but if I loaded xen dom0 with the same kernel, it didn't.

I found the card worked in Dom0 with Xen loaded. After some trial and error I realised I'd made two mistakes in my config.

1) I'd used "pciback.hide ..." instead of the newer "xen-pciback.hide ..." loading Dom0 kernel.

2) Then in DomU I needed to use "iommu=soft" and not "swiotlb=force"

--
Simon Hobson