Re: [Xen-users] Xen on VMware, possible?

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 09:16:37PM +0800, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Is it possible to run Xen on top of VMware?
>
> The reason is that I want to try out an installation of Xen with
> Gentoo as its Dom0, but since I don't have an idle box, I need to test
> it on top of VMware.

Yes, you can.

But since VMware does not support Hardware Nested Virtualization,
you can only run Xen PV domUs in the Xen in the VMware VM.
ie. Xen in the VMware VM does not see and can't use CPU HVM flags (VMX/SVM),
so it's not possible to run Xen HVM guests.

Latest Xen 4.2 (xen-unstable) supports Nested Virtualization.

-- Pasi