Re: [Xen-users] XCP eccentric, "embedded" install on small system disks

> Hello,
>
> I really like the features of XCP, and it seems very accomodating in
> hardware compatibility as well - quite differently from vSphere... I
> would really like to use it as the hypervisor for my home
> fileserver...
>
> The only problem is that the fileserver has a 4 Gig solid state CF
> card and a 6 Gig microdrive for system purposes, the rest of the
> storage (2 x 1.5 Tb SATA) is already formatted into a mirrored ZFS
> zpool, and I'd really like to avoid having to break that up.
>
> Of course, I get the "no hard disks with sufficient space" message. (I
> disconnected the data disks before install.)
>
> So I was wondering, since XCP is open source and all, if there is an
> advanced, manual option (even if it has to do with digging into the
> heart of the system) to install it on such a small, embedded
> environment.
> I'm quite certain I don't need the 2x4G management space, I'll be
> running two virtual machines AT MOST, virtualization is mostly to
> simplify remote management, and allow for GUI (without X11 forwarding)
> on a headless machine.
>
> In an ideal world, the setup would look like this:
>
> 4G CF card: hypervisor boot partition and configuration (semi-static,
> definitely no swapping or other frequent writes)
> 6G microdrive: VM images and swap
> 2x1.5T data disks: transparently linked to a Linux or OpenSolaris VM,
> which will handle the ZFS zpool
>
> Does this sound possible? I'm ready to get my hands dirty in
> configuration and code, I'm a Gentoo veteran... XD
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

Hi,

As it is now XCP is a stripped down Centos 5, where there are quite a
few configuration options available at install.
If you are ready to do some experimenting I would suggest, to take a
look at Project Kronos
(http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2011/07/22/project-kronos/)

Regards

Geza