Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen: safety concerns (Linux Dom0, Windows DomU)

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Chris Angelico <rosuav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 14:42:14 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:43:02 -0700

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> AFAIK the PCI device has to be hidden from dom0 to make it assignable
> to domU, and once dom0 uses it (e.g. for console output) there is no
> way to hide it.

Ah, okay. In that case, I may have to poke around with using the
onboard video for Linux, and reserve the card for Windows.

> I'd actually recommend you do something like
> - use windows as native OS
I'd rather not, but it's an option. Tried it last night; for some
reason, the XP installer is bombing. Also, I feel rather "dirty"
installing real Windows....

> - install virtualbox
That's what I currently am using. VirtualBox is great for most things,
but I'm having trouble with games, and I suspect it's because the
virtualized video card is not suitable for all of DirectX.

> - setup guests as needed
> - use firewall on windows side to block all traffic TO windows, but
> allow everything to guests

Not sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate please?

ChrisA