RE: [Xen-users] Different issues with Xen PV drivers and GPLPV drivers

  • To: "xenusers" <m+xenusers@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:46:37 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:48:08 -0700

> So, that's the issue I'm hitting with the Xen PV drivers.  With the
GPLPV
> drivers, the issue is easier to describe.  I've built the machine
using the
> configuration above, installed the drivers, it's running great.  Well,
I don't
> want to always have that iso associated with the machine, so I'd like
to have
> the cdrom drive empty.  I change its disk line accordingly:
>
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/vg_VMdisks-win7--1,hda,w', ',hdc:cdrom,r' ]
>
> And with only that change and the GPLPV drivers installed, the machine
> bluescreens 100% of the time when trying to start.  Then Xen PV
machine has
> no problem at all with an empty cdrom drive, and neither machine has a
> problem with an empty drive prior to the PV driver installation.
>
> If I remove the cdrom drive from the configuration completely, then
the
> machine boots right up and runs great.
>
> Has anyone else experienced one or both of these issues, and have I
missed
> an easy solution in my hours of wiki reading and googling?

I can't reproduce that crash on 2008R2 (server version of Windows 7),
but the server I just tried it on might be a version or two behind. What
version of GPLPV are you using?

For an 'empty' cdrom, the PV driver backend doesn't like having no path.
In this case I just create an empty iso (mkisofs on an empty directory)
and use that. That said, it shouldn't cause Windows to crash but you
will see a failed device.

James