Re: [Xen-users] Storage Recommendations

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Alexandre Chapellon
<a.chapellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> +1 aoe rocks... It can be integrated in XCP and /or xencenter.
> I personnally prefer ggaoed over vblade. It has inherant load balancing and
> fault tolerance for similar performances.
>
> cdt
>
> Le 23/09/2011 14:17, Scott Damron a écrit :
>>
>> Build your own box, install linux and AOE on it, then you get SAN
>> which will give you much better performance.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Daniel Castro<evil.dani@xxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are going to buy some NFS storage for 6-8 VMs on a single host, but
>>> want to expand to a second host.
>>> What storage recommendations would you give if you have between 2000
>>> and 5000 USD?
>>>
>>> How about nexenta? what hardware would you use? any vendor?
>>>
>>> Experiences with openfiler and opennas?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the responses.
>>>

>>> Daniel
>>>

>>> --
>>> +-=====---------------------------+
>
> --
> <http://www.horoa.net>
>
> Alexandre Chapellon
>
> Ingénierie des systèmes open sources et réseaux.
> Follow me on twitter: @alxgomz <http://www.twitter.com/alxgomz>

Yes, I actually purchased a CoRAID box off of ebay, it came with 12 TB
of storage (24 X 500 gig drives) for $1300.00 U.S.  Their OS that they
install on it is Plan9 from AT&T Labs, I know very little to nothing
about it, so I installed CentOS 5.6 with AOE, setup RAID on it,
created LUNs, locked down access to each LUN by MAC address and
mounted and formatted the LUNs from my Xen servers.  I added the
modprobe aoe statement to the proper init level and added the drives
to fstab.  (not really in that order).  It has been running like a
champ for about 6 months with no intervention at all other than to do
security/bug yum updates.