[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xen-users] Need some assistance in layout

I have been using Xen for a number of years personally and over a year in production here at work. Our network is growing and I am rethinking the way we have stuff laid out. We will also be implementing a few new HA setups for stuff like mail, mysql, OpenLDAP, etc. I would like some opinions from the list if you don't mind.

Currently we have the following machines with current configurations:

xen-test: Dell 2900; 8x 300GB in raid6, 8GB ram, 1x Intel 5405 quad core 2.0Ghz, 2x gigabit nics xen1: Dell T710; 8x 2TB in raid6, 24GB ram, 2x Intel 5504 quad core 2.0Ghz, 4x gigabit nics xen2: Dell R610; 3x 160GB in raid5, 32GB ram, 2x Intel 5506 quad core 2.13Ghz, 4x gigabit nics
SAN: Dell MD3200i; 12x 2TB in raid6, dual controllers.

Currently all machines are running xen 4.0.1 on Centos 5.5. All three machines are setup with bonded interfaces with passing the various vlans over that bonded interface. We have nearly all of our machines running on the machine xen1 while xen2 is sitting virtually unused. The machine xen-test has a couple of machines that are about to come out of testing and be production so I want to migrate them to either xen or xen2.

The SAN is nearly unused also. I do have some LUNs on it setup for an eventual migration and one 8TB partition for our backup solution to be migrated to. We currently use backuppc and it currently resides on xen1 using up about 6TB of space and running out quickly so I need to find a solution sooner rather than later.

One major feature I have been told to investigate by the higher-ups was a GUI, probably web based, so that in my absence my co-workers can manage machines easier. I want to make the best use of all three of these machines and the SAN possible. Having a way to migrate machines live would be awesome also. Although the mix of local and network storage makes for a little difficulty.

I have looked at other solutions like proxmox and a few others but I want to stay with xen as I know it is capable of nearly everything I need to do. I just need guidance on the best way to implement it. We run 95% linux machines in a PV manner and the other 5% is windows 2008R2 servers.

Making the domu's high available between xen dom0's is not majorly important for most of the servers, only a handful. I plan to make the individual services HA where possible as mentioned in the beginning of this message. Although it would be nice to be able to fail a domu over to another dom0 live with no problems.

Any pointers, input, or just general insight any of you may have on the best way to set this up would be much appreciated.

Donny B.

Xen-users mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.