Re: [Xen-users] XCP installation and management

Please take a look at the xapi list archives:

        http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-api/

for the answers to each of your questions.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Bud Bundy wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm a new Xen user and I had some basic questions.  I've been playing with
XenServer but I wanted to install XCP because it's open source.

1.  It seems XCP 1.1 uses 3.4.2 hypervisor.  How can I upgrade to 4.1 that's
out?  Is there an easy way like a package manager in XCP?  And what's the
general way to apply patches/updates to XCP?

2.  I believe there's an option of installing Linux system and then
installing the Xen hypervisor with that system's package management.  For
example Debian: aptitude -P install xen-linux-system.  I take it this
installation modifies the kernel and in this case is Xen running on "bare
metal" or is it like installing virtualization software on top of OS (like
VirtualBox on top of Windows system)?

3.  Anyone try Ubuntu Server as Dom0, it's what I'm familiar with?  I read
something about Xen being in the linux kernel, then it was taken out.
Anyway what stable linux distribution do people usually use that's the
easiest to setup with Xen?

4.  Are there performance differences between XCP and other Dom0 Linux/BSD
options?  If not, what's the rationale for XCP?

5.  What are some good management tools that you'd recommend?  I've been
using XenCenter.  I believe it will work with XCP, but some features were
not available until I buy full version.  I don't know if that's because of
XenServer version or XenCenter version.