Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen

Hi,

It's sad to see this thread got into such a state, while some may feel the OP should have just "RTFM" it's just not that easy to find the very babysteps of working with Xen right now.
That aside, I have been working on correcting this issue - I have just been horribly pressed for time.
My startup just got funded this week and I am in the process of acquiring another company, so I sympathize with everyone here that is also working 100+ hours a week and still finding time to contribute to Xen.
We love our community, we love our technology but we need to be open to bringing in new members in and not unnecessarily be hostile even when they should have "RTFM".

So getting to buisiness.
I recommend getting started with Debian Squeeze running Xen 4.0.1 this is painless, stable and VERY well supported way of getting a Xen setup in < 1hr.
Because of this I have started documenting the process here ready for inclusion in the wiki when I can find the time to complete it:
https://docs.google.com/a/orionvm.com.au/document/d/1q9odKP8Id26J8kHCAFt8aD5krXdUiZnZGw1Q-LGWCJg/edit?hl=en_US

This guide covers basic Xen concepts along with a functional install, PV guests and Windows HVM example setup.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions regarding the above and any help/contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I will heavily +1 Gentoo. Gentoo 3.1.0-r1 kernel released recently and Xen 4.1.2 form my current development environment, my desktop also runs on this stack.
Simply unmask the new gentoo-sources, xen and xen-tools then emerge -av gentoo-sources xen xen-tools
Then make sure the gentoo-sources kernel is selected with eselect, finally build your kernel in /usr/src/linux - making sure to select Xen support, ethernet bridging and the usual stuff.
Setup grub to use xen.gz and your kernel and you are good to go.

Kind regards,
Joseph.

On 10 November 2011 20:00, Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2011, 15:45:36 schrieben Sie:
> Unfortunately, I still haven't got the time to actually install Xen over
> Gentoo, and XenServer "Just Works™", so I'll just stand on the sidelines
> for now
Ok,
so if you go try to Gentoo Xen sometime and stuck anywhere pls feel free to
contact me on/offlist - i'm currently writing a small mini howto about this,
as the official docs - i.e.:

       http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xen-guide.xml

and other howtos are a more or less outdated and not covers "typical"
scenarios.

cheers,

Niels.
--