[Xen-users] Re: Fully-Virtualized XEN domU not Booting over iSCSI

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Phillip Nkubito" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:01:09 +0200 (SAST)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 04:49:49 -0800

Hi,

Just some more details:

 - Host is currently running Xen 3.1.2 (shipped with Centos 5.6)
 - The HVM were installed using isos (playing around with turnkey
appliances).

Any assistance/pointers will be highly appreciated.

Phill

On Thu, November 3, 2011 4:54 pm, Phillip Nkubito wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to move my VMs from running on local host storage to
> a shared storage (trying out iSCSI) but I am
> facing a bit of a booting dilemma.
>
> The domUs are a mix of paravirtualized and fully-virtualized VMs. They all
> boot and run like clockwork when on local
> storage.
>
> The paravirtualized domUs appear not to have a problem when I relocate and
> boot them from the shared storage
> though the fully-virtualized ones give me an error on bootup.

> Boot from Hard Disk failed: could not read the hard disk
> FATAL: No bootable device
>
> The iSCSI is offering the domUs as file images (.img) to the initiator i.e
> .Type=fileio.
>
> My host's processor (as you may have deduced) supports Intel-VTx. Does my
> shared storage need to have this capability to be able to
> boot my fully-virtualized domU?
>
> Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Phillip
>
> BASIC SYSTEM INFO:
> == BEGIN uname -rmi ==
> 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5xen i686 i386
> == END   uname -rmi ==
>
> == BEGIN rpm -qa \*-release\* ==
> centos-release-5-6.el5.centos.1
> rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el5.rf
> centos-release-notes-5.6-0
> == END   rpm -qa \*-release\* ==
>
> == BEGIN cat /etc/redhat-release ==
> CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
> == END   cat /etc/redhat-release ==
>
> == BEGIN getenforce ==
> Disabled
> == END   getenforce ==
>
> == BEGIN free -m ==
> Mem:          1102       1072         29          0        208        356
> -/+ buffers/cache:        507        594
> Swap:         4031          0       4031
> == END   free -m ==

Kind Regards,

Phillip Nkubito