Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:36:43 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 03:38:05 -0800

On Fri, November 11, 2011 11:46 am, Niels Dettenbach wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. November 2011, 10:42:00 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
>> I got Xen 3.x running using the gentoo-guide, but hit a few issues when
>> trying to get 4.x running inside a Virtualbox VM. (Don't have a spare
>> machine to test with on bare-metal)
> ok,
> i never tested to run a xen Dom0 within VirtualBox but i've heard from
> others
> that they did not got running Xen Dom0 runing as a VirtualBox VM in the
> past
> because VirtualBox lacked some system featues required by Xen (in the
> past?).
> Not shure how far VirtualBox is there today.

I actually got it to the point that a PV domain was running.
My main issue with the documentation is that I have not been able to find
out which kernel-options are really needed for Xen and how "xl" works as
it's not a true drop-in-replacement for "xm".
Is "xend" still needed?

> But if it helps you -> it is usually not a great deal to install / run a
> xenified kernel with xen in parallel to a usual kernel (with Linux 3.x
> even a
> second kernel should not be required anymore as long as your kernel has
> the
> Xen stuff / PVOPs compiled in) i.e. on a Gentoo sys. With just a own boot
> entry in your grub config you can select between your "normal" sys and Xen
> Dom0 to boot. I did that i.e. on my Notebook as some hardware (i.e.
> graphics)
> drivers had problems compiled with a xenified in the past...

That's an option, but I prefer to keep my desktop the way it is. Don't
have much diskspace in there as I keep all important documents on the
server.

> good luck.
> cheers,

Thanks,