Re: [Xen-users] Best way to get Xen into Ubuntu Natty/64bit

Hi,

for the record:
1. suse recognizes the disks, that was my fault. I had put the blade
in a different slot for easier reach to the network cables, but didnt
bring the disks along
2. traced down the suse xen error. the xencommons startup failed,
deleting /var/lib/xenstored/* and /var/run/xenstored/* has made it
work (for now)
I'll see if it breaks on every boot.

it comes with 4.0.2+some minor levels, so this is roundabout on the
same level as OVM3.

2011/11/15 Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> (Oracle VM 2.2, 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 unfortunately didn't work on the
>> system, otherwise I'd be running that instead of trying to run
>> something.
>
> sorry, I just read that part.

np, it was a wall of text anyway :)

> Ignore my previous comments about RHEL5 and OVM 3 then. And

fyi: ovm2.2.2 crash on sata init, ovm3 crash on loading xen.gz. Not
much hope there right now.

> XCP/Xenserver probably won't work either :(

guess so. will not try, strong UUID allergy from a few years working
with XenServer.

> Have you tried Vmware hypervisor? I'm starting to think it might be
> the only supported, hassle-free, just-work option for your particular
> hardware.

Hehe, yes ESXi would definitely work. But I think it can't hurt to
stab at a few more of these issues. I'd also be happy to do a few
benchmarks on it later on.
i.e. run 60GB PV domU on Xen vs. 60GB KVM VM. I suspect Xen actually
understanding NUMA would show some benefits. But of course that's
after making it work.

> Either that, or learn to live with latest vanilla/backported kernels.

*grins*
just like in the old days on etch :)

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and