Re: [Xen-users] XCP 1.1 Install from USB stick

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Brett Westover <bwestover@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Trying to load a server that has no cdrom. I used unetbootin to install the XCP 1.1 ISO on a usb stick, but I get error "mboot.c32: not a COM32R image"

I've googled around a bit for the answer, and found a few procedures for XenServer, but I can't get it to work.

Has anyone done this? What is the procedure/best practice for installing from USB?

Thanks,
Brett

Trying it now.

Grant McWilliams

Brett,
ÂÂ I built the USB drive using unetbootin a couple of times. The first time when I booted I just got a flashing cursor. The second time I followed these directions and it worked fine.

fdisk <usb device> and delete all partitions then create one new partition and make it fat32 type.
mkfs.vfat <usb partition>
unplug and replug usb drive
run unetbootin, select the XCP 1.1 ISO image and the device. I had to attempt to select it a couple of times. It kept saying it had to be mounted then finally the last time it didn't say anything then started creating the USB drive.

Rebooted machine, went into BIOS and changed to boot off the USB drive
Booted up and clicked Install and it installed XCP 1.1

I would almost bet that unetbootin didn't create your USB drive right.
Grant McWilliams