Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 15 November 2011 23:20, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At any rate, it is a boot optimization routine, and the errors can
> be ignored without concern. From 'rpm -qi preload-kmp-default', the
> Description field says:
>
> This will work with preload hand in hand to make sure no unnecessary
> files are preload.
In my case it says:
package preload-kmp-default is not installed
Actually, even if I try to install it, there is no package for 3.0.1 kernel.

> and 'rpm -qi preload' says:
>
> Preload lists files to load into the system cache. This shortens system
> boot time if used correctly.
OK

> Yeah, no response from Fajar, yet. I'll repost the problem with a different
> Subject line tomorrow, if no one responds.
OK, maybe Fajar is very busy in this days. No pressure for him! :)

On 16 November 2011 00:45, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm - I'm reading the man page for qemu, and came across this sub-option to
> the -vga type option:
>
>           std Standard VGA card with Bochs VBE extensions.  If your guest OS
>               supports the VESA 2.0 VBE extensions (e.g. Windows XP) and if
>               you want to use high resolution modes (>= 1280x1024x16) then
>               you should use this option.
>
> Since changing the network card driver worked, and vesa seems to not want to
> unload / hand off to cirrusfb, maybe we should try stdvga=1 again, but with
> videoram=32. (Actually, as an experiment, try videoram=8 and 16 also. Then
> check with lspci -vvv for the video device, and see if the size= field in the
> first Region line changes.)
OK, this is what I see right now (without any change):
stdvga=0 && videoram=16 && kernel 3.0.1
Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Region 1: Memory at f3020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Max Resolution: 800x600

stdvga=1 && videoram=8 && kernel 3.0.1 (I noticed the domU is slightly faster)
Region 0: Memory at f1000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Max Resolution: 800x600

stdvga=1 && videoram=16 && kernel 3.0.1
Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Max Resolution: 800x600

stdvga=1 && videoram=32 && kernel 3.0.1
Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Max Resolution: 800x600

So, something changed for 8 and 16M! But I didn't understand what has
changed. Now the
"size" increases but the max resolution is still 800x600. At least I notice
a faster domU with these settings. Haven't we already tried to set different
videoram quantity in our previous attempt, without success? Maybe the
only attempt we did was for videoram=32.

Thanks a lot!

Flavio