Re: [Xen-users] XCP 1.1 Management VLAN

I've tackled this another way. (assuming you are using XCP )

My XCP vm servers usually have two gigabit ports, each connected to redundant switches. I make all vlan's accessible via each of these ports via  802.1Q trunk, and use active/passive on the bridge. Then I create interfaces  for each  of the vlans, that I bridge to my vm's.  But as you've seen, the management vlan can not be on a tagged interface.

The  trick to have the management interface work on this setup is to have your switch port configured with a native non-tagged vlan.  A slight security issue, just make sure you restrict your vm's to only the tagged interfaces. There's even an example on the manual for this. Hope this helps.

-Javier

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Brett Westover <bwestover@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>No, sorry. You can try to hack the xcp/xapi underlying configuration,
>but this require significant understanding of xapi internals (and, of
>cause, every your change will be your own problem without community
>support).

>But outside this you can not use tagged vlans for management interface
>of xapi.

Do you know the reason for this restriction? It seems like a matter of a
settings change in openvswitch to allow any interface to accept tagged
frames. I must be misunderstanding some requirement of xapi.

So what does one do in my situation? Since I only have two interfaces,
and one essentially gets eaten up for management only, do I put both the
LAN and SAN traffic on the same interface?