Re: [Xen-users] understanding memory hot-plug in a paravitual domU

Hi,

thanks Kyle for the information.

I had read a lot of documentation and posts in forums and somehow missed that.

As you say, I feel that people would be less confused with this if mem-max clearly said that you can't grow the balloon higher than the initial memory value.

Thanks.

Al 18/11/11 11:47, En/na Kyle Lexmond ha escrit:
Hi,
Everything that I've read said that you can't balloon the memory
beyond the maximum you specified in the config file when you created
the domain. (eg.
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/virt-task-xm-create-manage-doms.html#id2645186)

So, no, based on the docs, the behaviour that you're seeing is
expected, and, no, you can't balloon higher than the initial memory
value.

Strange that xm mem-max isn't giving errors though.

**********
# xm mem-max server 4096
# xm mem-set server 4096
**********

can i suppose then that this should work?

the thing is that xen doesn't complain, but both 'xen top' and the machine
itself don't seem to show any increase in the memory.

However, it works when setting a lower value.

For example, I can create 'server' with 2048 and then go down to 1024 and
then to 2048 again, but never to a higher value. So... i guess that
mem-hotplug works because I can go down and up, but It can never go up
higher than the initial memory value.

that's why yesterday I was asking if that's is even possible,

--
Jordi Moles Blanco
Sistemes Cdmon.com