[Xen-users] Virtual guest clock

Hi,

We are on AWS and want to synchronize the clocks across our server instances. Each server runs Ubuntu 10.10 as guest on a xen host in a paravirtual environment. The clock on most of the servers is 30-60 seconds behind the actual time.

Let me ask first. Given the above information, what would be the right way to fix the clock?

I installed openntpd, and I could immediately see that it started making the system call adjTime with the correct offset (~35 seconds), and the system clock gradually moved towards the correct time.

So far so good. However, the value in the file /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0 is "xen", which makes me believe that the system clock on the virtual guest can suddenly jump back to the host time. Most of the posts I have come online suggest that we should set the clocksource to be "jiffies". But this doesn't work as the only available clock sources are "xen" and "tsc". Also, I do not see a directory named "xen" under /proc/sys.

Any pointers/hints on what would be the correct steps will be very helpful.

Thanks.