Re: [Xen-users] SR-IOV

Hello Annie,
    Been doing some reading up on SR-IOV as well. Maybe I can help.
    AFAIK, SR-IOV depends on VT-d and works via PCIe passthrough. In
other words, the PCI device exposes virtual functions which you can
assign to a VM.
    For Intel network adapters, you have to load the igb driver with
the max_vfs=[number] option for the virtual functions to appear. Here
are two step-by-step guides you can refer to:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/technology-brief/ethernet-SR-IOV-tech-brief.pdf

http://communities.intel.com/community/wired/blog/2010/03/01/setting-up-red-hat-54-xen-for-sr-iov-using-the-intel-82576-gbe

    The links use RHEL as the dom0, but it should be easy to adapt
them to Ubuntu.
    Regarding your question about passing through PCI and PCIe cards
to a HVM; one, you will need VT-d or AMD-Vi for passthrough to HVM to
work; two, if I'm not wrong, PCI passthrough does not differentiate
between PCI and PCIe devices -- except special cases when conflicts
arise.

Hope this helps!