Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 5 December 2011 00:37, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok - I've had partial success. I can get text mode up to 1280x1024, and the
> desktop up to 1024x768.
Hello,

De default kernel command line in the menu.lst file shows 0x313.
Once Grub has started, I can choose between many different screen
resolution too,
as regard the text mode actually.
The default one (not according with the kernel command line above) is 0x314.
Putting vga=0x31a makes me a text mode resolution up to 1280x1024x24.

> The text mode boost came from simply using vga=0x31a (1280x1024x24) in my
> menu.lst, on the kernel line. I remember you saying that didn't work for you,
> but I now assume you meant for the desktop, not text mode. What also works is
> 0x307 (1280x1024x8) and 0x319 (1280x1024x15).
Yes, I meant the desktop of course. Actually I've already tried to
change such text
mode resolution before and I've already seen that it works.
The max desktop resolution is still 800x600.

> With the following /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you can get a desktop up to 1024x768:
> [...]
OK THIS worked for me too!

> All the resolution obtained above come from the xorg
> cirrus module, not the kernel cirrusfb module. I never found a way around the
> BAR 0: errors, and I'm pretty sure that is what is preventing you from getting
> even higher resolutions.
You know these things even better than me! ;)

> On another problem - before I started looking at hvm to pv conversion for your
> domu, I decided to look at the PVonHVM drivers. The old wiki page actually has
> more info than the new one:
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenLinuxPVonHVMdrivers
Why don't try to setup suse directly as a PV guest? I think it would be better.
I tried to do it, but I don't know what to do after the first reboot
(the end of the setup
that requires a reboot).

> I assume that is how you did it, and did not use something like virt-install
> or virt-manager.
No I didn't use virt-* actually.

> Over the next few days, I'll look at full blown hvm to pv conversion. I
> suspect it will be as simple as installing kernel-xen, but using a pv config
> file to boot with. If I boot with an hvm config, and select Xen in the menu, I
> also got the 'invalid executable format' error. Then as I mentioned, the
> device names in menu.lst and /etc/fstab have to be changed. I'm already
> booting up with my hvm config with /dev/disk/by-uuid names instead of
> /dev/disk/by-id names. When I get it all together, I'll post it.

OK, thank you so much, even I still remain of the idea that it would be better
to setup a PV guest directly. It seems more simple for me.

So the problem of the screen resolution seems to be fixed now. It would be
a good thing to find out how to have success installing a PV guest without
starting from a hvm guest.

Cheers,

--
Flavio