Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On Mon December 5 2011, 10:49:19 AM, Flavio wrote:
> Why don't try to setup suse directly as a PV guest? I think it would be
> better. I tried to do it, but I don't know what to do after the first
> reboot (the end of the setup
> that requires a reboot).

Sorry. The net is full of methods that worked for 'them' and not for 'me', and
some that work for both. I have no interest in exploring those methods.
Theoretically, you can install xen in your hvm domu, reboot with a menu.lst
stanza of the kernel xen/ module / module form (probably using kernel-xen),
and use Yast to install a pv domu of a suse flavor. It will be slow as hell,
but that sort of simple nested virtualization (pv inside an hvm) has been done
(by Pasi or Fajar, or old timer Mark Williamson - I forget which). The only
sure pv install method for a beginner is the distro's own install method. The
rest of the methods require some time, effort & experience to help figure out
what went wrong.

One thought I have though: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by what to do
after the first reboot. Suse does a kexec reload of the installer to get from
the beginning of the install to the last configuration part. It does not
require doing another 'xl create ...' - it just reloads it without ever losing
the vnc window. However, after the install is over, and you *want* to reboot,
are you saying you don't have a pv config file to xl create with?

If so, there is a trick that was posted last month (Konrad, 11/10): While your
install routine is running, you can get the config for the domu with 'virsh
dumpxml domname >out-file', and then 'virsh  domxml-to-native xen-xm out-file'
to get a domu config. Or, with a little shell syntax magic, you can do it all
in one step (as root):

virsh  domxml-to-native xen-xm =(virsh dumpxml domname)

Then, it's *probably* as simple as removing any kernel= / ramdisk= lines, and
putting in a "bootloader='/usr/bin/pygrub'" line, check your disk= line for
correctness (no cdrom), and maybe add an extra= line. (Although, there is
nothing an extra= line can do that editing your menu.lst can't do.)