[Xen-users] Windows HVM DomU support

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jeff Mason" <J.Mason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:22:33 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:39:30 +0000

I trying to get a windows DomU guest to boot and run.  I am running xen4.1.1 using a Linux kernel 3.1-rc4 from kernel.org that I built for Dom0.  This works great and I can even run a 3.1-rc4 kernel (separately built) as a DomU guest.  I am NOT using anything but console display in that everything appears on my terminal in vga mode.  Now I want to run a windows HVM DomU guest.  I have a fully bootable/runable windows partition on another disk on this machine so I was using that.  I have set up my Xen configuration file as listed in the xmexample.hvm file.  I have listed this below.

I am using xl toolstack and it worked with the linux DomU guest.  When I start this up with xl, it works correctly with some messages and then prints "Daemon running with PID 2545" and returns to the Dom0 prompt.  I can do 'xl list' and see my new DomU working - for a while.  Then I get a message on the terminal that says:

[x.y] vif vif-5-0: 2 reading script

and now the DomU guest is gone.  The only relevant log file that I can find (/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-XPDomain1.log) does not list any problems.   My questions are what else do I need configure to get some display and (more importantly) how do I go about debugging problems like this?

Thank you in advance.

xen_config_file:

#  -*- mode: python; -*-

#============================================================================

# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.

# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm create'.

# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or

# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.

#============================================================================

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Kernel image file.

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.

builder='hvm'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.

memory = 1024

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.

name = "XPDomain1"

# Define network interfaces.

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]

# vnc and other display options

vnc = 1

sdl=0

stdvga=0

opengl=1

boot="dc"

vncconsole=1

vncpasswd=''

serial='pty'

tsc_mode=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and

# what you want them accessible as.

# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE

# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,

# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

disk = ['tap:aio:/dev/sda1,ioemu:hda,w']

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Define frame buffer device.

#

# By default, no frame buffer device is configured.

#

# To create one using the SDL backend and sensible defaults:

#

# vfb = [ 'sdl=1' ]

#

# This uses environment variables XAUTHORITY and DISPLAY.  You

# can override that:

#

# vfb = [ 'sdl=1,xauthority=/home/bozo/.Xauthority,display=:1' ]

#

# To create one using the VNC backend and sensible defaults:

#

# vfb = [ 'vnc=1' ]

#

# The backend listens on 127.0.0.1 port 5900+N by default, where N is

# the domain ID.  You can override both address and N:

#

# vfb = [ 'vnc=1,vnclisten=127.0.0.1,vncdisplay=1' ]

#

# Or you can bind the first unused port above 5900:

#

# vfb = [ 'vnc=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,vncunused=1' ]

#

# You can override the password:

#

# vfb = [ 'vnc=1,vncpasswd=MYPASSWD' ]

#

# Empty password disables authentication.  Defaults to the vncpasswd

# configured in xend-config.sxp.

# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.

dhcp="dhcp"

# Set root device.

root = "/dev/xvdb1 ro"

# Sets runlevel 4. - probably not needed for windows

extra = "4 earlyprintk=xen console=hvc0"

Jeff Mason

Principal Engineer

CPU Technology

1500 Kansas Ave, Suite 3D