Re: [Xen-users] Windows HVM DomU support

From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Mason
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 2:23 PM
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Windows HVM DomU support

I trying to get a windows DomU guest to boot and run….

Then I get a message on the terminal that says:

[x.y] vif vif-5-0: 2 reading script

and now the DomU guest is gone.  The only relevant log file that I can find (/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-XPDomain1.log) does not list any problems.   My questions are what else do I need configure to get some display and (more importantly) how do I go about debugging problems like this?

xen_config_file:

# Kernel image file.

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

I don't think you need the kernel stanza anymore.

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.

builder='hvm'

disk = ['tap:aio:/dev/sda1,ioemu:hda,w']

I use the stanza:

disk = [ ‘phy:/dev/sda1,hda,w’ ]

if you need access to cdroms or isos, you can provide the following as well:

disk = [ ‘phy:/dev/sda1,had,w’, ‘file:/root/w2k8.64.iso,hdc:cdrom,r’, ‘phy:/dev/sr0,hdd:cdrom,r’ ]

Remember to also include the following if it’s a Vista or later os:

viridian=1

The next thing to look at is whether any udev events fire off during vm creation.  Open up another console and run the following:

udevadm monitor --kernel --udev --property --subsystem-match=xen-backend

You should see something if it's successfully creating the disk, network and console backends.

I use Fedora, so your mileage may vary as far as the commands go.

Jeff Mason

Principal Engineer

CPU Technology

1500 Kansas Ave, Suite 3D