Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 7 December 2011 20:43, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The syntax on xl vncviewer is unnecessary, despite what xl help says. 'xl
> vncviewer OpenSuse11' works also.
Thanks, good to know.

> Interesting. I haven't even had time to upgrade my suse 11.4 bare-metal system
> yet.
Now I am trying to setup open suse 12.1...
I hope this release doesn't have the mouse problem.

> This may have something to do with your other extra= line. I had no trouble
> getting a desktop as an ordinary user, until I added extra='xencons=tty ...'.
> This interferes with the creation of /dev/tty0, which I'm guessing xorg needs.
No, I am trying to start the domU without any extra line and the X
session doesn't
start as a normal user. It is strange actually, since in the hvm domU
it was starting
without any problem.

> That would be useful. I won't do it - compile times on my system are bad, too.
> And I have several other projects stacked up.
The problem is that the config file that you may find in the domU's
/boot directory is
configured to have A LOT of modules to be compiled. It should be modified,
removing most of them, that are not necessary for sure. I don't do it, because
I don't want to make mistakes, removing something necessary for the domU.
In case I'll compile as it is...

> The problem with that approach is you have to copy over the whole
> /lib/modules/<kernel version> tree to your domu, or you won't be able to load
> any kernel modules that are not in your initrd.
Oh yes, you are right, but this wouldn't be a problem, since it is
sufficient for me
to go to the domU kernel source dir and issue the following command:
make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt/loop
after having mounted the img file in the loop dir.

> And you won't be able to keep
> the modules updated with new versions of the kernel from within the domu.
Yes, I have to do it manually each time.

Bye,
--
Flavio