Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 8 December 2011 18:28, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another approach, if you ever get kde working on the domu, is to enable xdmcp
> logins from a remote computer. Then on the client, you do a 'switch user', in
> in the splash / login screen, click on the menu, and pick xdmcp login, and
> enter the domu ip addr in the box. If the domu has xdmcp enabled, you'll login
> at the full resolution of the client's screen.
Oh, yes I know. It's the same mechanism that allows LTSP to work.
It would be a good idea.

> I think you mean "dom0_IP:1".
Yes, you are right! My fault during typing.

> Well, we've already gotten the hvm resolution up to 1024x768, which is what
> you are using with Xephyr above. But yes, it should work the same way except,
> kde is already working on the hvm install. You'd have to do a 'rcxdm stop',
> then 'export DISPLAY ...' and startkde.
Yes you have to stop xdm and start again. Anyway that trick could be used to
have higher resolution than 1024x768, performing the following command
on the dom0
for instance: Xephyr -ac :1 -screen 1280x1024
and the domU's KDE should keep all the available screen space, autoresizing the
screen (resolution).

> And yes, the mouse would work. It's just like when you used ssh to login to
> the Yast install: you're using the mouse, keyboard & screen on the computer
> you login from with ssh (or Xephyr), not the ones on the domu. (X is a
> networking protocol. The program runs and does calculations on the domu, but
> sends display info over to the client - the dom0 in your case - and gets input
> - keyboard and mouse - from the client.)
Yes, it actually uses a Xorg nested server (BTW: Xephyr is the
evolution of the old
Xnest) so, no problem with the mouse and keyboard.

> One step forward, one step back. ;-)
Damn! :D

--
Flavio