Re: [Xen-users] create LVM-based domU using more than one volume group

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM, <ray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Instead of forsaking the tools i bend them to do what i want, i have many wrapper scripts that allow me to install any number of operating systems, from debian to redhat, mandriva, gentoo, arch, netbsd, etc all via xen-tools. It's easy once you learn how it all works.
-DDV
______________________

DDV,
"once you learn how it all works."
Please suggest an efficient method to learn the works.

ray

Ray,
"Please suggest an efficient method to learn the works."

If i had that i'd own the universe. The only way i know how to do it is trial and error and a crap-ton of investigation and digging. Xen is cool but it's rapid development cycle leaves a path of destruction behind it. Often seemingly "new" documents will contain far outdated practices and command lines, at this point it would be wasteful to create documentation around my use-case as it would all be somewhat useless in a matter of months, however ask specific questions and i'll give you specific answers :) Right now, xen administration feels more like an art than a science.

In case you haven't taken a look at it yet, much of my beginner knowledge of how xen works at all came from "The Book of Xen", i suggest you pick it up. It deals with xen circa 3.1 which for most of us is considered the ancient egypt of the xen world but it will still give you some great perspective on the inner workings of xen which haven't changed much fundamentally since the beginning; what changes is the way you interact with the hypervisor. Many of my scripts and methodologies for managing resources (network, cpu, etc) came from that book; for me it was a boon since it was written from a perspective of a VPS hosting company which is what i run so i got quite a bit of use out of it.

Hope that helps,

-DDV